My friend Mary Beth tagged “lurkers” for this meme, and since I admittedly lurk on her blog quite frequently, and since I need a break from grading papers, here goes.
What were you doing five years ago?
Living in Evanston, Ill., in a cramped, rented room in a house with a nice, big front porch. Spending plenty of time drinking on said front porch. Working for a healthcare education firm and, I think, still liking it at that point. Making the kind of fun decisions that youth and general post-college restlessness allow, such as, “I should move to San Francisco.” Packing up all the possessions in my cramped, rented room and loading them into my car. Driving to San Francisco.
What are five things on your to-do list for today (not in any particular order)?
• Grade student papers (check)
• Wash my car (check)
• Read stories for fiction workshop (check)
• Work on Pete’s birthday present
What are five snacks you enjoy?
• White-cheddar cheese popcorn
• My goat cheese marinara dip (Mmmm . . . I have some in the fridge right now)
• Chips, though I try not to buy them because I’ll eat the whole bag at once
• Pizza from Naty’s in Chicago
• Cheese and crackers
What five things would you do if you were a billionaire?
• Pay off student loans
• Buy a house in Chicago, or better yet, have Pete design one for us and pay someone to build it
• Make sure my friends and family had everything they needed
• Donate to the arts, especially school music and visual art programs
• Give to the English Department scholarship funds at Oregon State and Northwestern
What are five of your bad habits?
• I’m uptight
• I’m a perfectionist
• I’m a backseat driver
• I can’t have just one beer
• I’m really bad about putting my clothes away
What are five places where you have lived?
• Fort Wayne, Ind.
• Evanston, Ill.
• San Francisco, Ca.
• Chicago, Ill.
• Corvallis, Or.
What are five jobs you have had?
• Nursing assistant at my dad’s office
• Newspaper copy editor
• Magazine editorial assistant
• Senior program manager
• College English instructor
What five people do you want to tag?
I don’t really have many Internet friends, so I’ll take Mary Beth’s approach and say, hey, if you want to tag yourself, go right ahead.